KEY SECTOR TRENDS
- Abundant resource focus on the research, development and accessibility of renewable energy to circumvent global reliance on primary resources
- Trend to solar power will continue with historic growth rates, in line with the push for cleaner alternatives
- Continued focus on financial recovery: capital cost cutting, corporate restructuring and operational/supplier efficiencies to recoup lost revenues
- Legal and regulatory insight to support the changing energy shift to supplying cleaner energy
- Deep-seeded sector experience required to support the lifecycle of onshore and offshore energy projects
- Heightened need for legal advice pertaining to commercial contracts, environmental law and M&A related proceedings with respect to rapidly changing sector amalgamation
WHAT WE KNOW
It comes as no surprise that the energy & natural resources sector continues to garner such monumental exposure as the global economy continues its attempt to absorb the shock of falling oil prices. Whereas the general population perceives the substantial decline in a purely negative context, the ‘glass-half-full’ industry advocates are first in queue to suggest that the current state of affairs paves way for a less fragmented player composition and, therefore, a more robust industry landscape in the near future. Furthermore, with this forced, detracted reliance on such a dominating energy resource, the doors may open more rapidly for the innovation, development and expansion into what have, traditionally, been viewed as secondary or supportive sector resources.
ADVANCING THE LEGAL INDUSTRY
At McInnes Cooper, we believe in playing an active role in the advancement of our clients and the industries in which they progressively participate. As such, we believe our responsibility extends beyond providing basic, legal advice—we are your true advocates and we fulfill this role in the most literal sense— as demonstrated by our direct involvement in the most significant energy projects in Atlantic Canada.
Our legal team of energy & natural resources lawyers have a thorough approach to servicing your legal needs which is complemented by a longstanding history and expertise in the energy sector. We’ve been first hand witnesses to historical, volatile changes in the sector and we have observed its growth throughout such changes to ensure that our legal services solution is well equipped to meet the needs of an ever-changing landscape.
OUR LEGAL EXPERTISE
- corporate and M&A
- banking, finance & tax
- commercial contracts
- anti-bribery & corruption
- Aboriginal law
- foreign workers
- occupational health & safety
- offshore projects