Our lawyers represent and advise both minority shareholders and majority shareholders and business owners in avoiding disputes arising from their share ownership. Our goal is to resolve these disputes as quickly and cost-efficiently as possible, with an eye to the best interests of our clients, including:
- disputes under shareholders’ agreements;
- disputes about a right or entitlement to shares;
- disputes about the shareholders’ rights, both majority and minority shareholders;
- claims for shareholders’ remedies against the company and/or other shareholders, such as the oppression remedy and derivative actions;
- disputes under employee shareholder plans and agreements; and
- disputes under employee share or stock purchase and option plans and agreements.
Avoiding shareholder disputes starts with a well negotiated and drafted shareholders’ agreement, a key service provided by our Corporate and Business team. We are also skilled at risk management and believe that by addressing these issues early, it can help our clients address problems early and avoid more costly legal issues that could arise.