Now more than ever before, companies are determining how best to address their ESG-related risks and are facing mounting public pressure to do so in a meaningful way. From a legal perspective, the push toward net zero and the transition to a renewable energy economy has introduced both significant opportunity, and significant risk, for businesses in relation to the “E” in ESG (environmental risk).
It can be challenging to navigate the ever-changing matrix of environmental legislation, policy, and standards that are impacting businesses. Our ESG team at McInnes Cooper can help your business navigate both the environmental risks and opportunities that currently exist and help anticipate and plan for the legislative and policy changes to come. Let us set you up for success before it’s crunch time.
McInnes Cooper has a proven track record of advising clients in relation to environmental obligations and opportunities, and clients have long-trusted our lawyers to act as strategic advisors on all things environmental law, including:
• Environmental reporting and disclosure obligations
• Stakeholder engagement and Indigenous partnerships
• Environmental/energy technology start-ups
• Marine renewables (tidal, offshore wind)
• Green financing including green bonds and specialized funding
• Government funding programs like SREP,CIB, Clean Fuels Fund
• Pension fund advising
• Renewable energy projects/renewable energy sales and trading
• Climate/public interest litigation (right-based, incompatibility with domestic and international environmental commitments) and project-specific litigation
• Misrepresentation, disclosure, greenwashing litigation (false advertising, consumer protection)
• Environmental regulatory litigation
• Energy regulation/regulatory advising
• Respectful and inclusive Indigenous rightsholder engagement
Subscribe to McInnes Cooper to stay current with our leading insights on legal updates, trends, news, events, and services.