Maggie Coffin-Prowse joined McInnes Cooper in July 2013, bringing with her a strong independent practice in corporate and commercial law.
With a solid foundation and history in the community of Saint John, Maggie has a strong repertoire with engineers, small business start-ups, contractors, and commercial building owners (among others). After years of private practice, Maggie expanded her corporate commercial cache as in-house counsel for an international oil company and as General Counsel for Jacques Whitford Ltd., an international engineering company. Her clients appreciate her flexibility, practicality, and goal-oriented mind-set. Maggie’s clients and colleagues alike know that if there is any potential for opportunity, she will seize it.
Maggie is passionate about solving problems and bringing two parties from widely oppositional sides together. Her passion for resolution translates into her ability to transcend disagreement and discomfort to make all parties excited for their new respective opportunities. Maggie’s highest compliment is when her clients consider her to be a part of the success of their business. Her ability to connect and create strong working relationships demonstrates to her clients that she really does care.
Prior to her professional career, Maggie obtained her law degree from UNB and then went on to receive her LLM from the University of Alberta. She mentors the Environmental Law Society at the University of New Brunswick, Faculty of Law and is the President of First Steps Housing Project Inc., a local shelter devoted to sheltering pregnant and parenting women who have no safe place to live.
Maggie will continue her corporate/commercial practice, with a special emphasis on environmental law and construction law issues.
- University of New Brunswick Energy Leaders – Module 3 Policy and Regulation, April 2015, Saint John, NB.
- Pond-Deshpande Centre Legal Issues for Establishing a Start-Up, February 2015, Fredericton, NB.
- Enterprise Saint John Kick-start Program Corporate Considerations for Start-Ups in NB, December 2014, Saint John, NB.
- Planet Hatch Business Structure Basics, June 2014, Fredericton, NB
- University of New Brunswick Energy Leaders – Module 3 Policy and Regulation, April 2014, Saint John, NB.
- Canadian Bar Association, NB Branch, Construction Law Section, Engineering Standard of Care, September 13, 2013, Saint John, NB.
- Association of Consulting Engineering Companies, Top 12 Contract Myths & Tips September 11, 2013, Fredericton, NB.
- University of New Brunswick Energy Leaders, Module 3 Policy and Regulation, June 2013, Saint John, NB.
- Canadian Bar Association Women in Law Conference, Panelist, February 28, 2013, Fredericton, NB.
- Coffin Prowse Institute Post-Job Legal Considerations, December 11, 2012, Online Webinar.
- Coffin Prowse Institute Mid-Job Legal Considerations, November 20, 2012, Online Webinar.
- Coffin Prowse Institute Pre-Job Legal Considerations, October 16, 2012, Online Webinar.
- Coffin Prowse Institute Contract Negotiations, September 11, 2012, Online Webinar “Top Ten Myths for Consulting Engineers”.
- InSight Conference Major Business Agreements, March 23, 2012, Halifax, Nova Scotia “Environmental Due Diligence.”
- Coffin & Thompson Institute Contract Negotiations, March 21, 2012, Online Webinar “Top Ten Myths for Consulting Engineers”.
- Canadian Bar Association, Construction Law Section, November 25, 2011, Saint John, New Brunswick “Workplace Health and Safety Implications for the Construction Industry.”
- Vietnamese Senior Government Official Education, University of New Brunwick, Saint John College “Environmental Management Practice in Canada” July 2010.
- Canadian Bar Association (New Brunswick), Environmental Section “Contaminated Law – Problems – Solutions: What You Need to Know!” June 2009.
BBA, University of New Brunswick (1996)
LL.B. , University of New Brunswick (1999)
LL.M., University of Alberta (2006)
- Alberta (2000)
- New Brunswick (2001)